Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Would You Like Fries With That?---Surviving the Drive Thru

     Yesterday, I wrote about general tips for the dining out dieter (say that 3 times fast).  Today, I want to focus on fast food.  I think it is amusing to watch people's reactions when talking about any establishment with a drive thru.  There's always someone in a crowd that turns up their nose and looks down on any place with a dollar menu. My favorite are the self righteous  folks who tell you exactly to the day the last time that they had a French fry.  "Oh, I haven't had one of those since May 4, 1995," they say with a look of condescension.  Really?  Well, it you haven't, then I hate to break it to you, but you missed out.  When I encounter those kind of chicks it makes me want to check my car for any contraband ketchup packets or straw papers that might give away my dirty little secret.  Sometimes, fast food just makes my life easier (I know that's lazy), and sometimes, I just get a craving for a good ole all American burger and fries.  The truth is, even though fast food restaurants aren't exactly the bastions of healthy eating, in our fast paced world sometimes it just makes life easier to pick up a meal to go.  You know,  I think breezing through the drive thru is  kind of like picking your nose.  Everyone does it.  Nobody wants to fess up to it.  So, how can a dieter cope with the Golden Arches and company when attempting to stay within a calorie budget?  Today, I'm going to tell you about some of my favorite lower calories fast food options.

McDonald's:
     Love it or hate it, McDonald's is as all American as apple pie.  Ronald and his pals just ain't going away anytime soon (except for Grimace and the Hamburgler--what ever happened to those guys?).    Many folks think that there can't possibly be any healthy choices under the Golden Arches; but that just isn't so.  McDonald's currently offers several salads from which to choose.  Now, like I've said before, you have to be careful here.  Pouring on three packets of Newman's Own isn't going to do you any favors.  But, if you can forgo the dressing, or choose a lighter variety, a salad might be a decent choice.
     When I think dining at McDonald's however, it is always a burger and fries kind of day.  But, dieters can't have that right?  WRONG.  For me it is all about portion control here. Instead of choosing a supersize double quarter pounder extra value meal (AKA heart attack in a bag) I opt for a cheese burger, small fries and small coke. This weighs in at a respectable 680 calories.

Wendy's:
     Aside from the Baconator (970 calories), Wendy's actually has some fairly healthy meal choices.  I'm not a huge fan, but I've heard lots of people swear by their chili.  Pair it with a baked potato (leave off the cheese sauce) and you have a pretty decent meal calories wise.  What I am a fan of is their Apple Pecan Chicken Salad.  I usually order the half size with grilled chicken.  It comes with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing which I leave off.  The dressing itself isn't all that terrible calorie wise.  It actually has a lot fewer calories than my favorite ranch.  However, I find that I just don't need it.  And if I can cut calories anywhere, I'm going to take what I can get.  The salad has blue cheese crumbles, spiced nuts, apple pieces and cranberries.  This packs enough of a flavor punch that I don't miss having dressing at all.

Subway:
    Like Jared, Subway is quickly becoming one of my BFFs.  I really like the variety.  Plus, as long as you steer clear of the fatty meats (pepperoni, salami, bacon) and mayonnaise based sauces, you are most likely going to stay well within your allotted calories.  A couple of things to consider.  Make sure you make a wise choice about the bread.  Now at first glance, the flat bread might look like your best choice.  Actually, it has more calories than both the white and the wheat bread.  Also, don't be fooled by the wheat bread.  It is not whole grain, so their really isn't any health advantage in choosing it over the regular white Italian (which has the least calories of all breads offered).  Your best bet at Subway is the Veggie Delite.  I will go on record as saying that it just isn't for me.  This omnivore wants some meat between her bread (okay, that sounded kind of dirty).  I really like the Turkey Melt.  I can even have cheese on this and it still is under 400 calories.  Even the tuna salad (which is my favorite) with its mayonnaise base, is less than 600 calories.  Whatever I choose, I like to pile on purple onions and spinach.  Veggie topping such as these add minimal calories and lots of flavor.

     So, the bottom line is, do I think that anyone can survive on a fast food diet and remain healthy and satisfied?  The answer is-- probably not.  However, if you do your research, you will find that there are a lot more healthy options out there than you might think.  Take it from a semi-reformed fast food junky.  If you totally put the kabosh on all runs through the drive thru, then you are setting yourself up for failure.  Denial breeds cravings and cravings breed a different kind of denial altogether---the kind of denial that keeps you from admitting to yourself that you need to makes some lifestyle changes.  By making smart choices and planning what you eat before you order on auto pilot, you too can stop Super-Sizing yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment