Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 13, 2013

I'd Eat This if I Was a Size 2!

     So, yesterday, I posted about things I won't eat.  I'm putting on my positive pants today (and thinking about how I'm so glad they are smaller than the ones I had on last year). I'm going to share with you some of my go to goodies that help me stay on track.  These are things that I really enjoy and encourage you to try.

Erin's Go To Goodies List


Strawberry Special K Bars
     I LOVE these!  I eat them pretty frequently for breakfast, but also for a sweet treat.  There are two kinds of Special K brand strawberry bars.  I prefer the one I have pictured.  The other is a "meal bar" and is covered in waxy white coating.  I don't like it at all.  This one It has sweet, gooey, real strawberry bites embedded in crisp cereal flakes.  There is just enough drizzle on top for me without it being overpowering like the coating on the other bar.  The only caveat is that these are small.  But, I'm not much of a breakfast eater, so they work for me in the mornings.  
Laughing Cow Cheese and Sesame Melba Snacks
     Laughing Cow feels decadent without being overly indulgent.  I actually prefer the light variety to the full fat version.  That never happens!  Pair this with the crunchy, nutty Sesame Melba Snacks, and it is enough for me to eat for lunch.  It really fills me up.  The cheese now comes in a variety of flavors other than the original Swiss.  I also really like the Queso Fresco Chipotle version for something different.  I can actually almost convince myself that I'm eating Queso from Fiesta Mexico (okay--I did say ALMOST--but seriously, it is really good.)  One thing about the Melba Snacks--they come in a variety of flavors as well, but I prefer the sesame version to all the rest.  The only problem is that I can only find it at Kroger.  Walmart doesn't seem to carry it.
    

Lean Cuisine Santa Fe Beans and Rice

     Lean Cuisine makes lots of options for the dieter on a time crunch.  Some are good.  Some, not so good.  One thing I have found about some Lean Cuisine meals is that they tend to be overly sweet.  This doesn't appeal to me.  However, LC does make one of my all time favorites, so I'm going to give them a shout out.  Santa Fe Beans and Rice is AWESOME. It is cheesy, spicy, and full of flavor.  It makes me feel like I'm cheating without the guilt that follows a real Mexican dinner.  Also, though I'm not sure it is 100% vegetarian, (it might have some negligible meat products used as flavor enhancers--I'm not sure) it is a good choice for someone who is trying to limit their meat intake.


I'll Drink to That.....
     Just a note on beverages.     Like I've said before, I'm a total Coke-a-holic.  Always have been.  I also hate the aftertaste associated with aspartame.  I have found three beverage choices however that I really, really enjoy.  The first one is Sobe Life Water.  These come in a variety of flavors.  My favorite is Black and Blueberry.  It reminds me of grape Kool-Aid. I also really like the Fuji Apple Pear.  This one seriously reminds me of a sour apple Jolly Rancher.  Instead of sweetening with Nutra Sweet (which is actually pretty nasty stuff--Google it), Sobe uses stevia extract, a natural non caloric sweetener.



     Something else I really enjoy is Crystal Light Strawberry Energy.  This comes in small packets that you can add to a water bottle.  Surprisingly,  I really like the taste of this one even though it is sweetened with Nutrasweet.  I can't taste an aftertaste at all.  Now, I know I just threw aspartame under the bus in the last paragraph, but sometimes you have to make exceptions.  The exception here is that this product is also laced with caffeine.  Now, I know some of you might not read that as a positive either, but when you are trying to limit your cola intake, finding alternative caffeine sources can become a priority.  Caffeine withdrawal ain't pretty folks.
     Finally, let me share the healthiest option on this list.  As a disclaimer, let me say that I am as a rule NOT a fan of water.  Honestly, unflavored water used to gag me.  I'm serious.  I started adding lemon to my water and it did help.  Then I discovered something I liked even better.  Instead of a lemon, add a lime.  It is very refreshing.  Sometimes, if I try really, really hard, and eat something really really salty,  I can even pretend it that it is Margarita (okay that may be a stretch--but hey, mind over matter)
    

      

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the Crystal Light Strawberry! Unfortunately, I found out the hard way it had caffeine in it (after about 8 bottles and my hands were shaky and I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest!). Something else you should try to add to water is Mio. I like these better than Crystal Light because it's liquid in a little bottle and super easy to carry in your purse. I order water at restaurants then put a few squirts in (totally confuses the waiter!). My faves are the fruit punch and strawberry watermelon.

    ReplyDelete