Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why I Don't Want to Shop at Fat Girls Anymore

     Yesterday, I reached a milestone.  I bought a pair of jeans in the regular women's department.  Now, let me clarify that by saying that they were still a size 18.  But, they DID NOT have  that ominous "W" plastered after the size.  I've always hated that one little letter.  Now intellectually, I know that it means, "women's" but in my head, that one little letter stands for "wide load."  I'm not sure that I can find another pair of pants just yet that are sans this letter, but for yesterday, it was a small victory.  One day at a time...I'm going to get there.
     This got me to thinking about plus size clothes in general, and in particular the problems that us big girls face when trying to stay fashionable.  I found this clip from Designing Women that seems to some up how I feel about shopping in the "stout shop."



      Just like Suzanne, I have always hated shopping in the plus size department.  For one thing, it always seems to be relegated to some seedy back corner of the store.  I always feel like the "women's" department is kind of like some ugly stepsister to the more glamourous and desirable "misses" department.  I hate when I'm in an unfamiliar store, and have to ask (and its usually some skinny-bitch sales girl) just where the plus size department is located. Even though "its no secret I shop there" (inside joke) I always feel ashamed when I have to say it out loud.   "Where is the (whisper, cough, mumble) "women's" section?" 
   Although I know that the selection of clothes available in plus sizes has expanded (okay, expanded might be a poor word choice) over the years, it is still pretty limited.   I'm constantly amazed at what designers think will look good on those of us that pack on more than a few extra pounds.  I'm not sure if they are clueless, or if they really just don't care.   I've got news for you though--big floral prints (especially over the boobs or butt) don't look good on anybody and they are especially unflattering on us "Women of Distinction."  Also, there are some things that should NOT be made in a size that fits me.  I'm realistic.  If a skirt or shorts hit is three inches below my butt cheeks, I can guarantee that its going to look like sh--.  I don't care if its my size or not. 
     You know though, I really don't understand why we have to have a seperate "fat chicks" section in the first place.  You know, there aren't any sections for other marginalized groups of women.  Oh no, that would not be politically correct.  Its not like Macy's keeps all their flannels and Burkenstock in the "Lesbian's Department."  It seems to me that it would make more sense to have all of the "ladies" clothing together and in a variety of sizes.  When I have to shop in a seperate department, it certainly doesn't' make me feel "big and beautiful."  It only serves to make me all too aware of how different and ultimately socially unacceptable my body is to the rest of society. 
    



       

1 comment:

  1. You've just summed up everything that's gone through my head ever since I joined the "plus size". Add being petite height wise and it gets even worse. You are doing an amazing job. Seeing you from month to month at faculty meetings I really notice a big difference. :-)

    ReplyDelete