Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Note About Accountability

     Finding what keeps you accountable is the single most important aspect to achieving your weight loss goals.   I really believe this.  Without accountablitly of some sort, it becomes nearly impossible to reach your goals.  The key is finding what keeps you accountable.  This is different for everybody and every body.
      The first thing that keeps me on the right track is my scale.  Scales get a bad rap sometimes.  I've heard the argument that you shouldn't use a scale and should only rely on how your clothing fits to determine weight loss.  While I can see some value in this argument--monthly fluctuations, weight gain due to increased muscle mass, etc.--ultimately the numbers don't lie.  Weighing yourself helps you see progress.  For me, this has been very motivating.  The thing to remember here is that you can't get wrapped up in the day to day numbers.  Weekly and monthly progress is more important.  Aunt Flo usually packs on at least five pounds when she come to visit.  I know this, and I can't get upset about it.  They come right back off when she leaves town. 
     Another thing that keeps me accountable is my clothes.  Most of the time, I hate the fact that I'm a packrat.  However, when I started losing weight, I suddenly was very thankful that I horded some of the clothes I had outgrown.  Each week, I'd put on this one pair of jeans that I hadn't had on in several years.  Each week, they got closer and closer to fitting until one magical day, I could put them on and feel comfortable.  That was an AMAZING feeling. Right now, I have a pair of "regular" size jeans that I bought.  I'm so ready for the day that I will be able to fit into them as well. 
     The final thing that keeps me going is posting my successes on social media.  Facebook is a great weight loss tool.  Posting about my weight loss and getting encouragement from friends helps me tremendously.  It makes me feel like everyone I know is in my corner and going through this struggle right along with me.  I don't want to let anyone down.  By naming my stuggle publicly, I have created a community of accountability for myself.  So, that said, I want to thank you all for keeping me on the right track.  I couldn't do it without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment