Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Eating Out on a Budget

     This entry is not about money management.  I have many, many friends who seem to be whizzes at making and sticking to a budget.  I will freely admit that I'm not one of them.  Dave Ramsey?  Who's he?  Maybe my financial frivolity should be my next target area for person growth.  Anyway, even though this post isn't about how to eat good and eat cheap, it does focus on dining out on a calorie budget.
      Dining out can be one of the major challenges for dieters.  I love food.  I especially love food that I don't have to cook myself.  I enjoy the experience of going out for a nice dinner.  Unfortunately, I also enjoy a quick dash through the drive through.  Whether you are dining at a 5 star establishment or patronizing the good ole Golden Arches, sticking to your calorie range at a restaurant is no easy task.  So, should dieters eschew dining out altogether.  Should we swear off restaurants forever simply because we are afraid of losing control?  I think not.  I have come up with some tips that can help dieters to win the calorie war even when someone else is doing the cooking.

Erin's Tips for Dining Out.

1.  EDUCATE YOURSELF!
     I'll be blunt.  Unless you are a complete dumbass, I am sure that you realize that a Big Mac is going to pack a hefty calorie punch.  I don't think anyone looks at those two all beef patties and thinks, "diet food!"  But how many of us know exactly how many calories are in that American icon?  Look it up!  770 to be exact.  Here's what you might not realize.  There are some of us out there that might think, "Hey, I know that a Big Mac is unhealthy.  I think I'd do better if I trucked on down the road and got a grilled chicken salad at Zaxby's."  Here's a news flash:  Even though it is a salad.  Even though you ordered grilled chicken and not fried. That "healthy choice" just weighed in at 785 calories.  That's 15 more calories you've eaten than if you had stuck with your original choice.
       The good thing is that in today's information age, there is a wealth of information available to us at our fingertips.  Almost all fast food establishments, and a growing number of sit down restaurants now 'fess up to the amount of calories in their offerings.  McDonald's has even started posting there calorie count information on their menu boards.  Take advantage of this openness.  There really isn't any excuse for not knowing, other than the fact that you simply want to live in denial of those 2460 calories you just scarfed down (That's an Applebee's Appetizer Sampler Patter folks).

2.  Exercise Portion Control
     I know this is hard.  But if you compare the average American size portions to those offered in the rest of the world, you will see why Americans on the whole have the fattest asses on planet.  We really don't need all that food that restaurants tend to pile on our platters.  Add to that the fact that many of us suffer from what I like to call "Starving Kids in China Syndrome."  We have been conditioned since childhood to clean our plates.  Ladies, their is nothing ungrateful about saving a portion of your meal for later.  Actually, it is really quite smart.
     There are a few quick and easy ways to help you fight the urge to over indulge.  First, check to see if there is a smaller portion of your entree.  Many establishments now serve "half portions" of popular items--especially salads.  Trust me.  Unless you are starving, even the half size is likely to be plenty to fill you up.  Also, be a kid again!  Order something from the children's menu.  Cracker Barrel actually bills its children's menu as "for kids of all ages."  Take them up on it!
      Another option is to ask for a box.  Get the extra food off your plate BEFORE you start eating.  Put it in the box and put it away.  If you can't see it, you are going to be much less likely to eat it.  Sometimes, I have no shame, but I will tell you that nobody--even me-- wants to look like a glutton.  Dipping back into what you've already boxed is slightly taboo.  You just aren't going to do it.  The good thing about this approach too is that it leaves you with lunch for tomorrow!  Bonus!

3.  Plan Before you Go
     Anyone who knows me will tell you that I tend to be a fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants kind of gal.  But, I've come to find out that planning what I'm going to eat before I actually go out to dinner is one of the smartest things I can do.  If I have a plan going in, I am much less likely to over indulge.  Look up what you plan to order.  Decide if it is in your calorie budget.  Stick to your guns once the server comes to take your order.

4.  Customize
     Now I know that like Bon Qui Qui, no server wants to encounter a customer with a "complicated order."  I hate to break it to the wait staff out there, but customer satisfaction is part of YOUR JOB.  If I need to make customizations in my order to help me reach my weight loss goals, then you are just going to have to deal with me.  I have found that most reasonable requests however are treated graciously and respectfully.
      Here's an example.  When I do visit Zaxby's I have them customize my salad order.  I ask them to hold the garlic bread, cheese, and crispy onions from my salad.  This cuts over 300 calories from my meal!  That's more than enough so that I can merit a coca cola to go with (and y'all know what an addict I am).  Honestly, I can't tell that much of a difference by forgoing the cheese and onions.  I really don't like the garlic bread that much any way, but if its staring me in the face, I'm likely to eat it just because.  The calories you save from simple modifications like this can really add up in the long run.

5.  Know Who Your Friends Are
     Many restaurants are getting savvy to America's ever increasing waist line and trying to market to those of us who are watching what we eat.  I'm sure this isn't altogether altruistic--its just smart business sense.  Many establishments have "lighter portions" menus that offer some really good quality choices.  For example, Applebee's has an entire "under 550 calorie" menu, some of which is endorse by Weight Watches.  TGI Fridays has also jumped on the dieting bandwagon and offers a "Right Choices, Right Price" selection.  Both of these restaurants have some really tasty options from which to choose.
     If you are dining somewhere without a special menu, you still have some allies that won't steer you wrong.  Grilled entrees are usually a good choice.  Veggies are usually a great choice for a side (NO-that doesn't mean broccoli casserole or fried corn--sorry chicks.) Stay away from anything fried or in a heavy sauce.  Salads can be great, but when you load them up with cheese, eggs, croutons, and bacon, and then drench them in dressing, they actually can be more of a wolf in sheep's clothing than a dieter's friend.

     I think that the best tip of all for dining out is to realize who is in control.  That person is Y-O-U.  If you're full, don't order that dessert even if the waiter tries to push it on you--that's part of his job too you know.  (That by the way is one of my personal pet peeves.  If I'm ordering from the diet menu, do you really think that I need that double fudge brownie?)  Do your research, plan ahead, make informed decisions.  But, above all else, if you happen to falter don't use it as an excuse to fall back off the wagon. Forgive yourself, dust yourself off, and get right back on it tomorrow.  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment