Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Reflections




     Reflections are important.  Most women have a love/hate relationship with their mirror image.  About a year ago, I was in the thick (no pun intended) of the "hate" phase.  I cringed every time I looked in the mirror.  I didn't like to be photographed, because that was going to leave a permanent record of my fatness (just being blunt and telling it like it is) I didn't like what I saw, and I decided to change it.  
     On January 1, 2012, I started dieting and exercising.  I lost about 60 pounds.  I am not perfect.  I still have a long way to go.  I've slacked and regained some of my weight.  But, I'm determined to get back on that proverbial wagon.  Since this journey started with a reflection, I decided that I would take some time to reflect on what I've learned about diet and exercise over the course of the past year.  I don't claim to be an expert or an inspiration.  Lord knows I don't have all the answers.  But I do know what I live and will continue to live the rest of my life.  I want this blog to serve as a motivational tool for myself and other women.  Hopefully via my reflection, I can help myself and others gain a better sense of peace and satisfaction with our own reflections.  To begin, I'd like to offer my top ten take aways, epiphanies, and truths that I have learned this year.  I will expand on each of these as the blog progresses.

Top Ten Take Aways


  1. Rethink your reasons for weight loss.  It isn't all about the visual.  Reframing weight loss as a health concern instead of an aesthetic concern can help add to your motivation. 
  2. Losing weight is a numbers game.  It is all about the math.  Calories in vs. calories out.  It really is that simple. 
  3. There is no magic bullet, secret pill, or clandestine spell.  I don't need to buy anything extra to lose weight.  If someone tells you otherwise, they just want your money. 
  4. Keeping yourself accountable is key.  Accountability can take many forms. 
  5. Invest in an accurate scale.  Weigh yourself, but don't freak out over daily fluctuations.  Sometimes ladies, you really are just bloated.  
  6. There are no good foods/bad foods.  Stop that mentality.  Set a calorie range and stick to it.  Work in what you like to eat by choosing smaller portion sizes. 
  7. Don't buy anything just because it is "diet" or "healthy".  If it doesn't taste good you won't eat it.
  8. Journal.  Log what you eat.  If you put it in your mouth, it counts.  No exceptions.  
  9. Set goals for both weight loss and fitness.  Make these attainable.  
  10. Cheat!  Allow yourself a cheat day each week.  If it is a special occasion, go ahead and have that triple decker hot fudge brownie delight.  Just don't make every day a special occasion.  Justification can be a slippery slope so just be cautious.    
Before
Still a Work in Progress


No comments:

Post a Comment