Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Own It!

     Being overweight is tough.  If you have never experience weight problems you truly do not understand what it is like to live in a body that betrays you daily--what it's like to live in a body you hate, and society despises.  Harsh words, but true.  I think one of the worst parts of being heavy is the guilt we feel because ultimately we realize that we are the ones who've put ourselves in this boat--and that is an ugly realization.  No one likes to feel that kind of shame.  So, what do we do?  We make up excuses and point our accusing fingers in a myriad of directions other that where they ultimately belong.  I've heard it all, said it all, and thought it all--anything to make  myself feel better about why the body that stares back at me from the mirror is not the body I want to see.  Here's the problem with that kind of thinking.  It solves nothing.  Blaming others is a prescription for laziness.  The thought process becomes, "if it isn't my fault, why should I bother trying to fix it."   I've got news for you.  With rare exceptions-- it is your fault.  (Ouch--that probably stung--but it is true).  You are responsible for you.  You took every single bite that put every single ounce of fat on your own thighs.  But here's the GOOD NEWS.  Once you own it, you can reframe it.  Stop throwing your own personal pity party--trust me, no one wants to attend.   Come to the realization that if you were responsible for putting the weight on, you can take charge of taking it off. Let me tell you folks--that is empowering.
 Instead of wallowing in self pity and self loathing, make an action plan.
     One of my all time favorite excuses for the extra junk in my trunk has always been to blame it on heredity.   Looking around at family get togethers  I've  always reasoned that some mysterious fat gene is responsible for the fact that my blue jeans come from the plus size section.  It makes sense.  It is totally logical.  But it isn't the whole truth.  Don't get me wrong. I do believe that genetics can predispose one to obesity.   But here's the thing.  How much of those collective extra pounds have to do with  our DNA, and how much has to do with that macaroni and cheese sitting on the stove.  You know, the one with the whole quart of heavy cream and a whole stick of butter.  Hmmm…certainly makes you think.  If you know that weight gain runs in your family you are not doomed!  Be proactive.  Make healthier choices to help combat an unfortunate roll of the genetic dice.
    Another excuse I like to make is that I'm a foodie.  Not gonna lie.  This girl loves to eat.  I've never been picky; I've always enjoyed the experience of trying new things.  I grew up in a family that loves to eat--we just didn't always make it a priority to choose the most healthy options.  Family gathering centered around good eats--and lots of them.  Good old Southern hospitality with a side of cheese grits.   If you are like me, and you enjoy the experience of eating, don't believe the lie that you can't enjoy food on a diet. Reframe it as an opportunity to experiment and experience.  There are so many healthy options out there that will tickle your palate.   Do your research.  Finding new, healthy foods that satisfy my inner foodie has been fun for me.  It can be for you too.
        The bottom line is this.  Stop thinking of reasons to fail.  Think of reason to succeed.  Once you own up to the fact that you are responsible for your eating and exercise habits, you can begin to change. You can say no to that extra piece of chocolate cake and yes to extra minutes on the treadmill.  You are responsible for you.  No one can lose the weight for you.  It is a personal journey.  Own it, reframe it, and change it.  You won't regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment