Total Pageviews

Monday, January 26, 2015

Don't Poo Poo On My Parade

     I've been feeling very proud of myself as of late.  I've stuck to my diet plan, cut myself down to one Coke a week, and  torched ten pounds.  But probably most importantly, I've gotten my sorry butt off the couch and started exercising.  I think those are things to celebrate!  And I have been!  But doesn't always seem that in the midst of any celebration that there are always one or two people that want to poo poo on your parade.  You tell them you're getting married--they quote you divorce statistics.  You tell them you're expecting--they tell you how expensive it is to raise a child these days.  You know the ones--never a positive word no matter how wonderful the news.  My path crossed with one of these folks today--but I'm determined not to let it get me down.
     I am a member of a Facebook "free-cycle" group.  Basically, member of the groups post items they wish to give away, or post in search of items they need.  This site has been a Godsend to me, because besides my vices of overeating and lounging on the couch, I'm also the world's worst packrat.  Now not to say I belong on "Hoarders" or anything, but I do tend to hang on to stuff longer than I should (maybe that's the problem with my weight--I'm hoarding the fat).  I've mainly utilized this site as a way to rid myself of unwanted and unneeded junk collecting dust in my closets and basement.  I rarely post in search of anything, but last night I made a simple request.  I posted in search of magazines to read while working out at the gym.
     It is no secret I hate to exercise.  I hate to sweat.  I hate to feel the burn in my calves as I walk on the treadmill.  But most of all, I hate watching the clock.  If I'm not distracted I get very discouraged.  My iPod and the televisions at the gym help, but I've found the most useful thing for me to do is to read a magazine while I'm working out.  It helps me zone out and the time goes by SO MUCH MORE QUICKLY.
      After posting I quickly received a reply from a friend that she had several magazines that she would like to part with, and offered them to me.  I was excited!  One woman's trash would certainly become this woman's treasure.  We made arrangements for me to pick up.  We were both happy, and that should have been the end of things.

BUT NO.

     Apparently some know-it-all came across my post and decided it was her job to offer her two cents. "If you read (or watch TV) while on a machine, your workout is less effective.  Research says so…I am an exercise professional.  Just sayin' "  Really lady?  Did I ask you for your advice?  Nope.  I asked for magazines.  Because you know what?  I'm doing the absolute best I can.  I am dragging my ass to the gym six days a week even when I'd much rather it be firmly planted on the couch.  I'm foregoing Coca Cola and a big bowl of popcorn in favor of bottled water and green smoothies.  Your advice didn't empower me.  It didn't make me want to put in an extra workout or push myself to amp up the speed or incline on the treadmill.  What it did do is make me feel small.  It made me feel weak.  It made me feel like the significant lifestyle changes I've made over the past few weeks were worthless.
    But here's the thing.  I'm not going to let someone else's snide remarks get me down.  I'm pushing forward.  I've got a great support system, and lots of other folks cheering me on (and my friend's comment back to her almost made it worth it--priceless).  One Debbie Downer won't stop this show.  Maybe when I'm down to my goal weight, I'll send this chick a picture--me with my rockin' new bod--on the treadmill, reading Us Weekly.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you Erin! I love reading your blog updates. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a great job! I hope to make it back tonight.

    ReplyDelete