Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Praise Jesus, I'm Overweight!

     I'm so excited I could almost burst!  I could shout it from the rooftops!  I'm overweight, I'm overweight, I'm overweight!  
     Now, some of you who are reading may be a bit confused.  Anyone who reads my blog knows that I've been working my ass off (literally and figuratively) to shed those damn extra pounds.  But, let me enlighten you…and tell you why I'm so ecstatic.  Today, I moved down a category on the BMI chart.   Today folks, I became official promoted from "obese" to merely "overweight."  And, let me tell you…it feels damn good!  
     For anyone who doesn't know, BMI stand for Body Mass Index. According to the CDC, Body Mass Index (BMI) is a person's weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters.  An adult with a BMI between 19 and 24 is considered within the normal range.  BMI's between 25 and 29 are considered "overweight."  A BMI between 30 and 40 puts one in the "obese" category, and anything above 40 is considered "extremely obese."   Here is an easy reference chart for determining BMI. 
 If you prefer, you can also use the BMI calculator linked here:
I encourage everyone to look up his or her BMI.  It is an important indicator of your health, and can be a real eye opener. 


     I'll get real with you.  I've been in the "red zone"--and it isn't fun.  Being able to move from the orange zone to the yellow--well, that feeling is priceless.  Not only do I feel better physically and emotionally, but dropping the "obese" label gives me courage.  It gives me the push I need to be able to stay the course.  I'm less than 30 pounds from normal.  I can do this!  
     For a while now, I've been able to see some pretty significant changes in the way my body feels and moves--and that is motivating as well.  I see my legs and waist shrinking.  I can contort my body in ways that I haven't been able to in years.  Okay, get your minds out the gutter.  I'm talking about being able to cross my legs or being able to clasp my knees with my arms--its the little things.  Nothing in the plus size department remotely fits anymore--no tears over that one I can assure you.  I can actually see my collar bone!  I feel good after I exercise--not like I'm going to keel over.  As wonderful as those changes have been, I can't imagine what I'm going to feel like when I make it all the way to a normal weight for my height.
     I think the best part about reaching this milestone is the feeling of accomplishment that comes with it.  I feel like a million bucks because I've worked hard to achieve it.  I haven't given up.  I haven't thrown in the towel.  I've rolled with the punches when I pack on those extra few pounds one week out the month--although I will admit I still get a little panicked each time--even though I know in my head I'm just bloated.  
     Today, a friend posted this on my Facebook page, and told me she thought I needed one:


I want everyone I know to earn this shirt.  I want everyone to feel the kind of joy and sense of accomplishment I'm experiencing right now--because regardless of how much blood, sweat and tears it takes, this feeling is SO DAMN WORTH IT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment