Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thinspiration


Apparently, there exists a small but significant movement that calls itself "Pro Ana"  For those of you not familiar with this term, it does not refer to a collection of  50 Shades of fan fiction.  Nor does it refer to those who support the American Nurses Association.  Pro Ana is a movement that supports and promotes anorexia nervosa.  Along with its sister movement, "Pro Mia" (yes, that's a campaign that gives impressionable young women tips on how to most efficiently toss their cookies), the intention of these movements is to get thin by any means necessary.  If you are interested in such unhealthy and outright dangerous notions, well, you are reading the wrong blog.  Both anorexia and bulimia are serious psychological illnesses with devastating physical effects.  They ravage the bodies of their victims leaving only a sick, boney shell behind.  Utterly disgusting and sad.

     One of the ways that the Pro Ana and Pro Mia communities lure in their victims is by providing what they call "thinspiration"--pictures of dangerously thin women and young girls that serve as "incentive" for those who unfortunately buy into their ideals.   Glorified starvation pure and simple Here's some examples of the bags of bones that fill up these pages.  






     I'm sorry, but these girls are emaciated. Malnourished and sickly is not beautiful ladies.  Reading about the Pro-Ana movement made me sick.  But, it also got me to thinking about how if we are looking for "dieting mentors," what kind of folks should be be seeking to emulate? 
     One of my personal weight loss heros is Jennifer Hudson.  The thing I like about her is although she is a celebrity, she seems so real and genuine.  I can identify with her.   She seems like someone I'd like to have lunch with.  She has had some incredible success, but she still isn't a stick figure--baby's still got back.  (and on a side note--would someone please explain to me why us white chicks are still expected to have zero junk in our trunks while our African American counterparts are allowed a little more grace in the posterior department?  Utterly unfair.  Can't we all be bootylicious)  



    Another one of my heros is a little closer to home.  I know a guy who has lost over 300 pounds since October 2011.  I won't name him to protect his privacy, but many of my readers will know to whom I'm referring.  Yes, he had surgery.  But he also has changed his eating habits and works out like a mad man.  He looks great!  Although this blog is targeted primarily to women, I really felt like giving him a shout out for his awesome success.  Way to go friend--you know who you are.    You are a true inspiration to many.  
     When I think of my "thinspiration" these are the folks I look to for motivation.  I'm looking to not only improve my outward appearance, but also my overall health.  That is what these folks have accomplished--and that's huge!  If your idea of an ideal body includes protruding ribs, knobby knees, and a concave back side you need to rethink your priorities.  Thin may be in, but healthy and happy is where its at.  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment